Commendations & Complaints
Questions, Acknowledgements & Other Comment Reasons
Each year, Nags Head police officers have thousands of contacts with people. In some cases, individuals may question why an incident was handled in a particular way; they may wish to acknowledge the employees involved; or they may disagree with the actions of a departmental employee. Public confidence in the criminal justice system depends, to a large extent, on the trust that people have in their law enforcement officers. For that reason, the Nags Head Police Department takes citizen questions, concerns and compliments very seriously.
The Nags Head Police Department will forward commendations to officers and their supervisors so that the officer(s) may be recognized. It is also the department’s policy to investigate all allegations of employee misconduct in a thorough manner. The Nags Head Police Department’s Deputy Chief of Police is responsible for coordinating investigations related to alleged employee misconduct and commendations for exemplary service. The Deputy Chief of Police reports directly to the Chief of Police.
Commending Police Employees
When you receive service that you feel is worthy of a commendation, please let us know. You may call the police department at 252-441-6386, contact an on-duty supervisor, or fill out a Citizen Commendation Form (PDF) to pass on this information. You may print and return the form in person, by mail, fax, email, or you may contact an on-duty supervisor (more information on this is at the bottom of the page, with numbers and direct points of contact). When contacting the police department and / or completing the form, include all the information you can remember about the outstanding service. You will then receive follow-up correspondence confirming we have received your commendation. The employee and his supervisors will be notified of your commendation and a copy will also be placed in his / her employee personnel file.
The Nags Head Police Department values community feedback and is dedicated to providing the best police service possible. If you feel a police department employee has treated you improperly, or are concerned about any police department action, please fill out a Citizen Complaint Form (PDF) (or complete the online version).You may print and return the form in person, by mail, fax, email, or you may call to schedule an appointment to speak directly with a police supervisor. When a complaint is received, you will then receive follow-up correspondence confirming we received your complaint and it has been assigned for investigation. You will receive a follow-up letter upon the completion of the investigation, however, in accordance with state law, the Nags Head Police Department is unable to release what specific discipline, if any, was imposed on the employee.
Your Issue is important to the Nags Head Police Department.
In order to facilitate the process, please follow these simple directions:
- Whether your issue is complimentary of a police incident or a complaint against an employee, please fill out the form (PDF) as completely as possible. Important information is the who, what, when, where, and how of what happened to you.
- If your issue is of a second hand nature or you were a witness to a matter of concern, please be clear on those facts.
- We must be able to contact you for follow-up investigation should it be warranted. Include an accurate day and night phone number, address, and email address (if available).
- A review of this matter will be conducted by a police supervisor of the Nags Head Police Department with the results forwarded to and further reviewed by the Chief of Police.
- You will be informed of all matters material to the investigation within the guidelines of Departmental policy and North Carolina law.
- If, after filing a commendation or complaint, you have not been contacted directly within 10 working days, please call the Nags Head Police Department at 252-441-6386, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Please download the fillable Commendation and Complaint Form (PDF), (or complete the online version), complete, print, sign and then submit via one of the following methods:
Mail or Deliver to:
Nags Head Police Department
5401 S Croatan Highway
Nags Head, NC 27959
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Nags Head Police Department
Scan and Email to:
Email it to the Nags Head Police Department