- Boards & Committees
- Arts and Culture Committee
Art and Culture Committee
Art & Culture Committee
It is the purpose and intent of the Board of Commissioners to establish a Committee for Arts and Culture to assist the Board of Commissioners in promoting, encouraging, and increasing support for the town’s artistic and cultural assets as well as working to integrate arts and culture into community life. The committee’s primary objectives will include:
- To preserve and enrich the character of the community
- To celebrate cultural history and heritage
- To broaden the role of the arts in the community
- To foster artistic creativity
- To encourage development of Nags Head as a destination for arts and culture
- To demonstrate the significant enhancement to quality of life that public art and cultural offerings can have within the community
- To use art as a means to foster the community’s sense of spirit, pride and values
- To exhibit a range of all aspects of art and cultural activities including visual arts, performing arts, history, and social activities
- To advocate for the role and value of arts and culture in civic life
- To promote greater public participation in, and access to, arts and culture
The Committee’s work may involve the following activities:
- To provide suggestions to the town staff to support public art projects, cultural activities, and events
- To work with the town manager and staff to plan and program budgeted activities
- To work as an independent group with authority to solicit proposals from local artists to design and construct public art projects within the town using budgeted funds, grant funding, or other donations provided to the town
- To select works of art to add to the town’s art collection
- To work with other organizations and individuals to promote the arts and culture
- To explore methods to receive grant funding, donations, or in-kind services to match budgeted funds to complete art projects or other cultural activities and events
- To recommend policy, program and legislative changes to the Board of Commissioners to further the committee’s primary objectives
The committee meets the second Wednesday of each month at 12 pm in the Town of Nags Head's Board of Commissioners Room.
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The committee will be comprised of seven individuals including one town staff representative. Committee members will be selected by the Board of Commissioners through the application process and should have a background/experience that demonstrates a knowledge, education, or experience in the arts or designing and/or promoting cultural activities. Individuals should have a relationship to the community either through business ownership, property ownership, residency, or through demonstrated contribution to the Town’s art and/or cultural resources. The committee may also include representatives from selected non-profit partners or educators that support arts and culture.
- Leslie Erickson
- Ginny Flowers
- Samantha Lock
- Kerry Oaksmith-Sanders
- Peggy Saporito
- Bettye White
- Kelly Wyatt - Staff Member
It is anticipated that funding for use by the committee for arts and culture will be allocated by the Board on an annual basis and will depend on available revenue. Town staff will work with the committee to administer funds and provide support. However, the committee’s decisions related to the expenditure of budgeted funds will be independent from the Board of Commissioners.
This will be a standing committee with members appointed to three year terms. There is no limit on the number of terms that a member may serve. The committee will meet as needed with a minimum of one meeting per quarter.