Governor Cooper Extends Utility Disconnection Moratorium
North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper has extended NC's moratorium on utility disconnections with Executive Order 142. Therefore, residential water disconnections for nonpayment are suspended through 11:59 pm on 7/29/2020. Additionally, no new penalties or late fees will be applied during this time.
Through 11:59 pm on July 29, 2020, residential water accounts:
- will not be disconnected for non-payment
- will not have new penalties for late payments imposed, or be pursued to collect on current penalties due
- will be offered a payment plan for up to 6 months (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a payment plan)
- will continue to be provided information about account balances
- will continue to be responsible for paying their water bills
Late payments on residential water accounts will be considered deferred, not erased. Disconnections and penalties will be reinstated July 30, 2020.
Read Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Executive Order 142.