In August 1959, a few concerned citizens had a meeting to discuss the need for fire protection on the northern Outer Banks. After a lot of hard work, the Nags Head Volunteer Fire Department was chartered by the state on March 2, 1961. Nags Head Volunteer Fire Department began as a small department covering most of the northern Outer Banks. As the service grew and the work demands increased, the Town of Nags Head decided to hire our first paid fire chief which occurred in December 1984. Shortly after that, the first paid firefighter was employed in January 1985.
Today Nags Head Fire and Rescue has become a combination department with 27 career staff members and roughly 10 volunteers. The Department operates from a headquarters station, Station 16, located at 5314 South Croatan Highway and Station 21 located at 8806 South Old Oregon Inlet Road in South Nags Head. Both departments together serve a year round population of about 3000 that grows to over 45,000 during the summer months.
Nags Head Fire and Rescue performs other duties that include, but are not limited to, routine fire code inspections of all businesses within the town; fire cause investigations; fire prevention education. Nags Head Fire and Rescue operates within an "Enhanced 911 System" through Dare County Central Communications, located in Manteo, North Carolina.